Build campaign websites for legendary progressive causes
Code Nation builds websites and digital tools for progressive campaign organisations across the world. We’re a small, fast-growing company, looking for team member number 11 to scale-up our growth. If you’re a junior developer or a campaigner with solid NationBuilder experience and a hunger to learn quickly, we want to talk to you.
Code Nation is an award-winning digital agency providing powerful tech solutions for organisations that work for a more sustainable, just and equal world. We specialise in designing and developing customised campaign websites, and in providing ongoing technical training and support. The vast majority of our sites are built on NationBuilder, a combined CRM and CMS that powers political and nonprofit campaigns. We are expert-certified with NationBuilder, and in fact are currently the highest-ranked NationBuilder agency worldwide!
Recently we have also expanded our efforts in building off-the-shelf products that are accessible to a wider range of campaigners, and that increase our scale and impact. These include ready-to-deploy website themes (like our Candidate theme), a community organising tool called SupporterBase, and a custom form builder named FormJoy.
This work is powered by our tight-knit team of 10, which includes designers, backend and frontend developers, and operations staff. We are purpose-driven, fast-growing and ambitious, but also foster a laid-back, supportive, and fun culture. We strive to take our mission seriously, but not ourselves!
We are looking for a new teammate to help create stunning and functional campaign websites for our progressive clients. You will do this by creating custom website themes and/or helping to implement ready-made themes. We expect this position to grow in scope over time, and to ultimately play a key role in driving the work of our frontend development team.
This role will include the following
- Developing custom websites from high-quality designs, with great rigour and attention to detail.
- Applying our existing NationBuilder themes to client sites
- Training clients on using the functionality of the platform and our themes to best expand their reach
- Troubleshooting client issues and either resolving them or discussing technical fixes with the development team
- Working with our clients to understand their needs and obstacles, propose and implement excellent technical solutions, and then debrief and take feedback.
- Contributing to the strategic direction of the frontend development team, including brainstorming future products and features for our development roadmap.
We envisage this as a permanent, full-time role. If you’re interested but can’t commit to a permanent full-time role right now, then get in touch and we may be able to work something out.
What we can offer you
- Purpose. You’ll spend every single day working on websites and tools that are being used to fight for action on climate change, for workers’ rights, for stronger democracies, and for a more just, inclusive society.
- Community. We are a small, close-knit team of 10, and we like to help each other out - either by stepping through a new technical skill together or providing our team mates with the time and support they need to deal with a personal or family issue (because we aren’t robots!). We invest in building genuine relationships through weekly coffee chats, monthly online games, all-team retreats (pandemic-permitting), and regular co-working days for those in the same city. Beyond the immediate team, you’ll have the opportunity to be part of a broader, progressive campaign community that works together to achieve change.
- Professional Development. We support ongoing training and development for the team, including via a dedicated annual development week in which you will focus exclusively on learning a skill of your choosing. You’ll also have the opportunity to hone your development skills on the job every day, and to learn from our award-winning technical team. And you will develop your leadership and team-building skills as you help to drive the work of our small and quickly-growing company.
- Strong earnings potential: Starting salary of $60,000 - $72,000 per annum (dependant on experience), plus 10% superannuation. We have a track record of growing salaries to reflect individual and business performance, and this rate will be reviewed after your first year in the role.
- Annual leave: 4 weeks paid leave, 11 days of public holidays, plus sick leave and parental leave.
- Flexible location and work hours: You can be based anywhere in Australia - wherever suits you best! If you happen to be nearby and enjoy doing a bit of casual co-working, we are also up for that too - we have team members in Melbourne, Torquay, Sydney, Brisbane and Parkes. And we all enjoy some flexibility in our work hours outside of client and internal calls, so whether you’re a night owl or an early bird you can make use of the schedule that works best for you.
The ideal candidate
We are looking for one of two profiles to fill this role, as described below. If you meet either of these profiles - or some combination of both - then we’d love to hear from you!
Junior frontend developer characteristics:
- An eagerness to continue growing your development capabilities, both through independent reading and tutorials, as well as collaborative coding sessions and training with teammates.
- Experience working with React.js would be an advantage.
- You’re excited to have input into the scope of your role in the future, as part of a small and fast-growing company
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to draw out the technical needs of our clients and communicate back a range of proposed solutions.
- A passion for supporting organisations who work on progressive causes
- Commitment to speaking your mind, even when your opinions and ideas are different from others. You are comfortable receiving both positive and critical feedback.
- Self-motivation: you are comfortable operating in a remote team.
How to apply
Contact us at [email protected] with:
- A short paragraph on why you are interested in the role.
- Either your CV or a link to your LinkedIn profile.
We will then get in touch to discuss next steps :)